Monday, June 18, 2012

Vanilla Chiffon Cake

Pin It Now!

We used to bake different flavour of chiffon cake. Have you try out simple vanilla chiffon cake?  Instead of using vanilla extract this recipe use seeds from vanilla bean. Since I have vanilla bean in my counter I decide to bake this vanilla chiffon cake.
  

Before I go to recipe I like to talk about AlphaBakes which is hosted on alternate months by Ros from The More Than Occasional Baker and Caroline from Caroline Makes. This will be a monthly challenge where the aim is to bake with an ingredient that starts with the random alphabet letter chosen for that month. 

The June Challenge which is hosted by Ros from The More Than Occasional Baker is "V". Therefore I’m submitting this Vanilla Chiffon Cake for the event.

Adapted and slightly modified from Carol
Ingredients:
(A)
5 yolks
30g castor sugar
60g vegetable oil
90ml milk
1 vanilla bean
* can replace with 1tsp vanilla extract
 
(B)
120g cake flour
 
(C)
6 whites
1/2 tbsp lemon juice(replace with 1tsp vinegar)
60g castor sugar
 


Methods:
1. Scrape the seeds from the vanilla pod. Put the seeds and pod inside the milk. Cook the milk with low heat till boil. Discard the pod and leave to cool.


2. Pour egg yolks and sugar in a bowl. Whisk till sugar dissolves.

3. Add oil, vanilla infused milk into the bowl. Stir well.

4. Fold in sifted flour and mix till smooth.

5. In another bowl whisk the egg whites till frothy. Add vinegar then sugar gradually and beat till stiff.

6. Fold in 1/3 of the whites into the yolk mixture till well incorporate.

7. Pour the mixed batter into the remaining egg whites bowl. Fold gently till well combine.

8. Pour into 22cm chiffon mould. Bake at 160C for 45 minutes.

9. Once cooked remove from oven. Immediately invert and leave to cool. When cake is cold, remove from mould.

 
This 5 yolks and 6 whites chiffon cake recipe yield very soft and fluffy texture. Why not you try and find out ? Happy baking!



12 comments:

  1. Nice chiffon! Looks soft and fluffy. I always have no luck with chiffon, so sad...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks really soft! Love the texture. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks delicious!! So light and fluffy - I love the height and texture of chiffon cakes. I'm sure the vanilla flavour came through nicely. Thanks for entering this to AlphaBakes :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm a big fan of chiffon cakes and my husband and son aren't, and so I didn't bake chiffon cakes very much.

    This is the kind of cake I like and maybe I should I bake this for myself :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Vivian,

    I met with problems the my cake deflated after baking. Is it because for Chiffon cake, once bake, I need to remove it immediately out of the cake for cooling?

    The other problem which I meet with is my cake is very moisturize inside the cake itself. I'm not sure what exactly went wrong that result in this. Can you advice?

    Chin Mei

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sounds your chiffon is undercooked. What temperature you are using ? If the temperature is too high it will rise quickly. It looks cooked at the top but undercook underneath. That's why cauce sinkage and wet.

      Temperature for chiffon cake vary with different oven. Although mine stated 160C some oven can bake nicely at 180C. If 160C still high for your oven do reduce to 150C. Try and see how is the result. You might need to bake further 5-10mins (do the cake test for doness). Hope this help. Happy baking!

      Delete
    2. Hi Vivian, thanks for the above advice. I've managed to solved the problem for the deflation but my inner centre of my chiffon cake is still moist which then hardens as I fridge it after it cools down. This result in the rest part of my Chiffon cake to harden too.. Can you advice me on this? Thanks a lot.

      Delete
    3. It sounds the batter is not well mixed. After mixing 1/3 of the egg whites into the yolks batter,pour all the mixed batter into the remaining whites bowl. This way able to ease the job of mixing well. Do try and see this will help.

      Delete
  6. Hi Vivian, do you have to use a chiffon baking tin that has a hole in the middle? can i just use a normal cake ting 20cm in diameter?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes you can bake as sponge cake in ordinary cake pan. But the temperature won't be the same. Do refer my recent post sponge cake(birthday cake) for the tips on baking chiffon cake in cake pan. Happy baking!

      Delete
  7. Very informative article...Keep posting more article...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Vivian,

    Thanks for your great recipe. I have tried it yesterday and it turn out well. This is the first time I bake chiffon cake and I am glad to have found your recipe.

    BR,
    Nicole
    http://dolcetemptation.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Thank you by dropping by my blog. I would appreciate if you can leave comments on my posts for friendships.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...